According to recent World Health Organization statistics, lung diseases rank as the 5th leading cause of deaths in Poland. Following a healthy diet benefits your overall health and wellness. There are, however, specific foods that are good for your lungs.
This article explores the 15 best foods to enjoy for optimal lung health in more detail.
Why Foods for Lung Health Matters
Your lungs are the core of your respiratory system. Every breath you take brings oxygen into your bloodstream and distributes it to the entire body. Air pollution in Poland remains a concern, and if you know what foods help heal lungs, you can equip yourself to improve your overall well-being.
The Top 15 Foods for Lung Health
Energywin guest author Jacek Michałski prepared this helpful list of foods for lung health. He’s an expert in this field and created a summary of different types of foods good for the lungs.
Find the type of food you enjoy eating in the headings, then read more on the benefits below. Jacek also advises those who suffer from an acute respiratory disease to include these nutritional items as everyday essentials into meals.
Protein in Meat, Fish and Eggs
Protein helps your body to grow and repair internal tissue that may be damaged by infections.
- Meat, especially white meat like chicken is rich in zinc and minerals to help you recover.
- Fish contains plenty of omega 3 fatty acids. These ‘good fats’ are essential to lung health due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Eggs contain plenty of vitamin A which is vital for healthy respiratory systems. Egg yolks, in particular, can help repair the mucous membranes in your lungs.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
Fresh fruit and vegetables should always be included in a nourishing diet. You should ideally eat three to five every day. Add the following for optimum lung health.
- Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons or tangerines are filled with vitamin C. They build the body’s defence systems and help fight colds and flu.
- Papaya is another bright orange fruit that contains beta-carotene and provitamin A. It’s essential for lung health and can help you retain healthy lungs as you get older.
- Apples contain a high concentration of antioxidants and flavonoids. It’s associated with general wellbeing and believed to lower the risk of adult asthma and lung cancer.
- Tomatoes are known to have high amounts of lycopene. It’s another antioxidant that’s believed to improve lung functioning as it can reduce inflammation in airways.
- Beetroot and beet greens are ideal foods for lung health as the high quantity of nitrates can benefit lung function. Nitrates relax blood vessels which in turn promotes optimal oxygen intake.
Spices are often used as home remedies to treat minor ailments. Here are the best ones for lung health.
- Turmeric has anti-bacterial properties that are associated with good lung health.
- Garlic is both an antioxidant and has antibiotic features. That makes it an ideal food to eat to build up your immune system against colds, the flu or other respiratory infections.
- Ginger is another root spice that has several health benefits. It’s known to fight off infections and a great option to add to food or brew as an immune-boosting tea.
Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds contain vitamin E, which helps to neutralise free radicals. That makes them ideal lung health boosters.
- In addition to vitamin E, nuts also contain healthy fats like omega 3 and selenium. Almonds or Brazil nuts are your best options.
- Pumpkin seeds are beneficial to boost your immunity and make a healthy snack too.
Several warm drinks can also be counted as foods good for the lungs.
- Green Tea has a long list of health benefits. It’s the ability to act as an antioxidant makes it the right choice of beverage for your lungs.
- Cocoa or raw dark chocolate drinks contain flavonoids. This antioxidant help relax the airways and support your lungs.
It’s essential to get your nutrition information from a trusted and reputable source. If you’re not able to consult a qualified professional for guidance on the best diet for you, read some reviews online. The best place to start is to identify the health and wellness scams to stay away from.
You can boost your lung health when you include foods good for the lungs into your diet. Use a variety of your favorites in every meal to support and protect your lungs.